Monday, June 9, 2008

Texas or Bust




On May 21st we began our summer vacation. Gianna's godfather was to be ordained a priest on the 31st in Texas, and that's all we needed as motivation to start heading south.



Our first stop was my sister's house. We were only there for an evening, and the kids wasted no time. They loved playing with their cousins and are looking forward to getting to spend more time with them later this summer.






Emma and Lauren are enjoying un libro en Espanol.

Our next stop was my grandparents where in addition to two nights of tornadic storms, we got to enjoy some games and a water park that is in their town.





My grandma and Aidan racing cars down the ramp.



Brett spent a bit of time on the roof cleaning out the gutters.



Here's the "boss".



After our visit with my grandparents we went down to Texas. We were just in time to go to Mass at our old parish. Refreshing!



We had a great time in Texas. The first day we were there we worked a festival at the church and got to see almost everyone we would have wanted to see all in one day. We worked the drink booth, and well, everyone needs to drink so there ya have it. It felt like old times and definitely made me homesick.



The week in Texas was all about seeing friends. And we did plenty of that. We even had some friends (one very pregnant friend in particular) come up from Houston to see us! It was fun watching the kids rekindle their friendships and it was also fun watching them remember that they did indeed know these people. Aidan hadn't forgotten any one, Emma remembered a few, and Gianna was wondering "who in the world are these people".


We stayed with our good friends, Beth and James, and had many adventures which are not limited to college-like nights (okay, not that crazy, just late), lots of swimming, an escapee from the chicken house, a hornet sting, and countless great conversations. Here are a couple of pics of us with them. Note: James had just returned from work and was sweaty.

I don't think Emma is going to sink, what do you think.

Hmm, what about Aidan, will he go under?


Actually, I am happy to report that although we are not "water people", the kids did a great job and by the end of our trip Emma was down to just water wings and Aidan had his off. Gianna was down to just water wings too with very little assistance from anyone. She's a water person.



The to be ordained came to see us. Gigi was being a twerp (and I say that with much affection) and wouldn't sit with him to get a picture so we all posed for one.



The kids did not want to say goodbye to their good friend again.

While we were in Austin we stayed with some good friends and the kids had more fun playing and being kids. We had some more great conversations.

I'm not sure why, but this is my favorite picture that I took at the ordination. I think it captures the joy and the humility perfectly, and it didn't have any one's head in it (okay, maybe just in the corner).


The ordination was beautiful! It was so amazing and humbling to watch these three men give of themselves completely. Any words I try to find seem insufficient.


Gianna says, "It's hard work watching my godfather become a priest!"


Between the ordination and the reception we hung out with our old associate pastor, Fr.Alberto. We went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant (we miss good Mexican food), and then to the parish where Father has been assigned for the next couple of years or so.

Here we are with Fr.Alberto at Fr.Daniel's reception.

I have to add that we had a great time hanging out 'til the wee hours of the morning with Fr.Alberto during the week. We miss him a ton and love that he took so much time out to be with us. Gracias, Padre!

Here we are with the newly ordained Father Daniel! Congratulations again! We love you and miss you!!! (Gigi keeps telling us how her god-daddy is a priest now and when we ask her if we have a picture of her and her god-daddy she says, "No, me bein' gwumpy".)



Gianna and Fr.Daniel's other godchildren brought the gifts up during his First Mass which was very cool. Lots of seminarians serving, incense galor, chant throughout, a great homily...what else can I say...it was divine!

Gianna says, "Enough already! I want to go home!"

The car ride home was more eventful than we would have liked. Emma was throwing up the whole time (literally every 20 minutes) and we ran into an extremely nasty storm (80mph straight winds/possibly tornadic/walnut sized hail). Praise God Emma actually ceased puking for the hour we were bunkered down with other travelers in a gas station off the interstate.


We were all very happy to get home, and I think we've finally recovered. I am so glad we made the trip. The moments and memories are truly priceless.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh my gosh!! I had no idea your trip was so eventful...on both ends! I didn't even get to ask you about the driving down portion. I'm so glad y'all are safe after that hectic drive back!

It was so awesome seeing you all...and S. in particular wishes we could adopt all of you. She really REALLY enjoyed seeing your kids again.

God bless you all!

Meghan said...

Yeah, the drive back definitely cured us of wanting to drive through that part of the country for a very long time.

We all had a blast seeing you guys too! We'll have to get A and S writing to one another again. I know Aidan is always wanting to write to someone.