Friday, December 21, 2012

School's Out!

Brett is currently finishing up his very last final of the semester, and the kids have finished most of my "must do before I set you free for your Christmas break" list.  I'm mostly ready on a physical level for Christmas, and trying to be ready on a spiritual level as well.

A couple of nights ago we went to a light display that the city nextdoor holds.  It was a great night.  Not too cold, not too windy.  My absolute favorite part of the evening however was watching the 3-year-old.  She was taking in every moment of our evening out.  Of course there was a bit of joking about how she was just amazed to be "in town" now that we are country-folk, but the enjoyment on her face was simply priceless.  She lit up (pun intended) at the manger scene.  I've tried to take her attitude and marvel at the beauty of it instead of be an adult and gripe that it was the only religious scene in the whole display.  How far are we going to go here?  Christmas!!!  It's CHRISTmas.  Holidays, HOLYdays.  I mean, people, there are so many things to get offended about, but removing Christmas from Christmas?  I just don't understand.

Okay, I seriously did not mean to turn this post into a rant.  My intention was to explain the irony in my sweet daughter's love for the manger light display.  You see, not a week before we were talking about Christmas with the kids and what they were looking forward to.  Most of them (good parenting award) were excited about the secret gifts that they've been working on for parents/siblings.  The resident 3-year-old redhead however exclaimed, "I'm excited for all of the gifts people are going to give me".  Lovely.  The true meaning of Christmas, fail.  

I hope to have some pictures up soon.  My camera was on loan some good-looking percussion professor and I just got it back.  In the meantime I'm holding my kids extra close, extra long, and that's all I'm going to say about that.  You get it. 

No comments: