Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Little Engine Who Could

Is that even the title of that book?  It's close enough and I'm so extremely tired and overwhelmed that I'm not going to take 3 seconds and look to see if I'm right.  Regardless, I'm imagining myself as that little blue engine.  The one that helped bring good food and toys to the children on the "other" side of the mountain.  I have to play the part because I really feel like the old tired engine who could barely chug off to the roundhouse.  Oofta!

The flu has come to knock us down!  At least some of us, and I'm so thankful that I'm not in the "us" part. (I should interject that after Felicity's hospitalization last year with the flu she and I both got a flu shot.  I'm not normally a big believer in flu shots, but I'm becoming one) My older two and the man of the house are all down for the count.  Worst possible time for my hubby since this is the last week before finals and he has a lot of students who are counting on him and colleagues who are counting on him.  But no, he's not going anywhere.  The poor man is so pathetic that I can barely even tease him about how pathetic grown men are when they are sick.  Barely.

So, I wake up every morning, after not sleeping well myself since I have a 2 1/2 year-old in bed with me (since her room-sharing sister coughs all night long) plus the chubby, lovely baby (who I'm hoping is getting her immunity from me).  Every morning I put a smile on my face because I can.  Every day I'm reminded at how helpful those two oldest of mine have become and how much my husband does for us.  I'm reminded very clearly because now it's up to me, and I'm not even doing everything, just *almost* everything.

I didn't really come here to complain though.  Advent has proven to be a perfect time for me to serve this family God has given me.  I haven't had time to waste time, I've been actively serving the sick.  Other than brief thoughts of "oh, this is going to be awful if I get it" I really haven't had time to think of myself.  I haven't been able to get wrapped up in the craziness that often overtakes this time of preparation.  It's kind of been nice.  Oh, and most importantly, and maybe the most selfish of them all:  I haven't had to step foot outside of my house for over a week and a half (other than to go to Mass).  Our high today was -3.  That's right, it did not once today even get to 0!  I'm very grateful that I have to stay home and care for my family.  Brrrr, that's cold.

A simple St.Nicholas Day

Ornament painting



4 comments:

Unknown said...

All the Jones, feel better fast! Love y'all!

Patty said...

Hi Meghan! I found you via Margaret's blog and must tell you what an adorable family you have. I appreciated this post today. The title was quite fitting for myself and had to laugh out loud. We are not sick, praise God, but it is our finals week. I have to admit, I detest finals week for each quarter, every year, especially these jr high and sr high years. I asked my husband if it was "take your wife to work day" today… I'm not a quitter. No. It's just that time of the quarter. You inspired me to move ahead and grasp whatever peace I can in my moment of insanity! :) Praying that you all heal soon and that this plague passes the mama of the house. Happy feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe!

teeny-o-tiny said...

Please send our Fifi south to us! It is way too cold up there. In fact, load the Little Engine up with your whole crew and come back to Texas!!! Praying you and the littles stay strong and everyone else recovers soon. Love y'all!!

Meghan said...

I tried to reply to all the comments above, but blogger isn't letting me!
Thank you so much for the sweet notes.
The two infected/affected kids are definitely on the upswing. Brett was vertical for longer periods of time today and will hopefully be even better tomorrow.
Thanks for the prayers!