Although there are different schools of thought of when Christmas officially ends, we are wrapping up our celebrations here. I wish I could say that this Christmas season was filled with quiet, and awe, and beauty. It was, in a way, because isn't that what Christmas is always filled with? The arrival of a baby, the baby. However, the weekend before Christmas, two more of the kids fell to the longest living, slowest moving virus that we've ever had in this house.
We were hoping Felicity would be spared because when she's sick, she's very, very sick. This time was no exception. We kept many late night vigils, making sure her temp wasn't getting too high, her breathing wasn't too labored, and forcing her to drink so we could escape another visit to the hospital. I always marvel at how full of life and spunk she can be, and then....crash! Down she goes. A marvel, that girl.
I think it is safe to say that the particular bug that plagued us is gone. The baby has a cough now, but I think it is only partially a virus and partially my overdose of dairy products over the New Year holiday. Turns out that she's like all of my breastfeeding babes have been, not a fan of the dairy. Bummer. I'm trying to find a happy medium between being sufficiently concerned, but not overly so. This "having a healthy newborn with no medical issues" thing has thrown me for a loop. I almost forget how to parent a healthy kid. All part of the healing process, I guess.
The state "next door" is shut down tomorrow due to the cold. Our town is also canceling school. I contemplated giving the kids one more day of vacation as well. After all, Brett is still technically off, and it is so tempting. We will forge ahead anyway. Between the virus-that-never-dies and the 102nd day of subzero temperatures (okay, a bit of an exaggeration) we have begun to go a tad bit crazy. Alarms are set, lesson plans are, well, going to come together, and I think we are all excited to start learning together again.
Which brings me to my next topic, if I were sticking to a particular topic at all and not just rambling. My expectations for this next semester are much lower than the previous semester. I knew that having a new baby would slow me down a little bit, and it did. Having a baby, however, did not slow me down as much as having a 2 1/2 year old who was the former "baby" did. I'm in a strange spot with homeschooling. I feel as if I'm constantly leaving the big kids to do their work on their own, and yet simultaneously shooing the little ones off. I know this is just a phase and I'm determined to enjoy where we are now, and not waiting for it to get "easier". This isn't easy stuff. It will always change and be different, but raising and homeschooling any number of children is never easy.
We're working to find that good balance. The balance that is essential for a family to run smoothly. When I find the secret to it, I'll let you know. Well, first I'll somehow copyright my idea and make millions and then I'll charge you if you want any information. Nah, I wouldn't do that. This time around that balance is going to mean less trips to town, but more time when we're there.
This balance is also going to mean we spend more time reading-aloud as a family. When my older three were my only three we would read for hours every day. No exaggeration at all. I've continued to read-aloud while adding more kids to the mix, but we've never made the time to do it as much or as often. It has taken us way too long to get through simple books and forget more "meaty" material. I truly believe that reading aloud, and above the reading level of your kids, helps to form them into good, interested readers. It sure seems to have helped with their desire to write as well. Reading and writing are not subjects in our homeschool. They are a part of life.
So, there's the plan. Place an emphasis on reading-aloud again and limit our trips to town. Sounds promising to me. I should add that we are all working on making sure we kiss sweet, chunky, yummy, delicious, tasty, scrumptious baby cheeks as often as we can. Now who could go wrong with that?






3 comments:
Sounds like a great plan to me! Stay warm.
I've been homeschooling for one (or two) more years than you, and am STILL seeking the "perfect" balance. It doesn't exist, I don't think. Every day is a gift and yet, some days I want to return the gift!
Like Monday, when my feisty gal (you know the one) told me that she "hated school." It was our first day back after the break! Silly kid. She talks without thinking but still I cried...and then I pushed up my sleeves and thought, "What can I do to make things more interesting?"
Right now they're drawing and water-coloring racoons (from the website Art Projects for Kids) while listening to Irish music on Pandora. And...they're happy! And engrossed! I've got a pot of homemade chicken soup on the stove because that is ALL that we have in the house right now. Gotta go out in the cold to get some groceries and yuck. I do not relish this task.
All this to say...
I'm sorry you were plagued with so much sickness and that I wasn't there with a pot of my homemade soup. From the sounds of it, though, you guys wouldn't have even kept it down. ;)
Love you!♥
PS. Also? Chocolate. And coffee. And cuddles with your sweetie late at night over a good book or a movie.
Post a Comment