Monday, September 11, 2017

Let's talk Lice!

So there we were, chugging along beautifully in our brand new school year.  We were waking up to alarms, getting our chores done, working hard on academics, what could possibly go wrong?

What could go wrong?  Well....let's see....we could maybe, just perhaps, quite possibly discover that our entire family (minus 3) was infested with lice!!!!!!! I will spare you the details about how this was discovered and where we got it.  Let's just say that dealing with lice on 6 people (all girls with long, long, some very thick and long hair) is absolutely as awful as it sounds like it would be.

I was absolutely horrified at our discovery and will admit to shedding tears over the ordeal!  I realize that anyone can get lice, but I've been a mom for almost 16 years and have never even considered it a possibility!  The homeschooling family with lice?  What in the world?!?!

We spent fourteen hours on day one cutting and treating everyone's hair.  It took six hours in the morning of day two and three that evening.  We've spent a little less time each day, but we are still checking everyone over and talk about what we're going to do with our time when we are no longer staring at each others' heads. I contacted anyone I knew that had any experience with lice and we have been so very diligent with everything for almost two full weeks that if we haven't completely gotten rid of it for good I'm shaving heads and burning my house down!

This Wednesday is technically the two week mark, but if everyone says check for two weeks I'm going to check for three!  Not only was this ordeal extremely expensive, but we have spent hours and hours and hours nit-picking, and checking, and washing things, and bagging things.  It has been an all-consuming endeavor to ensure these unwelcome guests are gone for good!

No comments: