One of the first things people will say to me when they find out that we have 8 kids (after studying my face to see if I'm actually serious) is, "And I thought I was busy!" My guess is that they look at their lives and then multiply their "busyness" to equal what they think my life looks like with a lot of kids. I don't think they would believe me if I told them that they are most likely busier than me.
There's busy.....and then there's busy! Clear as mud? Let me explain.
I am busy. We have 10 people in our family. All of us need to eat, have clean clothes, a clean (but lived in) home, and time to build relationships. That all takes work, and sometimes a lot of time. That is what fills my days. But I don't think that's the busy most people are talking about.
Brett and I have made it a point, and a priority, to limit what our kids are in and how involved they are in activities outside of our home. This has looked different depending on what season of life we're in. Currently six of the kids are in karate, one is in symphony and that same one takes two different music lessons. What that means is that after being home all day, every day, there are 3 afternoons/evenings/nights where we are in town for activities. The child who is taking lessons doesn't do as much karate because that's the way life is. Sometimes you have to choose, and sometimes you have to say no.
What I've found with this "guarded" schedule is that it gives us, as the parents, the freedom to make sure first things are first. For us, family time and free time for the kids to be kids (and build relationships with those in our house) trumps any outside activity. If we are having "a day" (and if you're a parent you know what that means) I reserve the right to say, "We're staying home and getting outside today" or "We'll just do two classes tonight and get home earlier so the little kids can get to bed", etc. We do not let our children's activities run our family. Sometimes the big kids have to sacrifice because the little kids can't handle a late night and the little ones certainly put their time in being schlepped around a few afternoons a week.
One other point that I want to bring up about this insane busy-ness business is this. Rarely have I met any one person that is absolutely phenomenal at multiple things. Of course exceptions exist. The basketball player who is also an all-star baseball and football player who has a 4.0 and is socially charming is out there for sure. That's not the norm though. I hope we are raising our kids to see that it is okay, and maybe even desired to do a couple of things and do them well. Take the time to perfect a skill, not just dabble in several.
I hope that my kids will look back on their childhood and appreciate and long for the quiet and time they were given to grow and thrive into who they will become!
4 comments:
Well said, Mama! It can be a hard thing, indeed, to keep a family's schedule sane this day and age. It takes a concerted effort, sometimes trying something and pulling back if it's too much, and balancing family time with little breaks from the same personalities. At least that's the case for us. We just finished our first week back at the activities for this year, and I was surprised that it didn't feel like too much, but it was a welcome change for me as we continue to seek friendships here. Two of our clubs are only once a month, and they are high quality. We're loving the Geography Club, especially. I know enough about myself to not sign up for a co-op, though each year I think I should! There's nothing wrong with a slow childhood like we had, and our parents, though today's culture places a smorgasbord of options before us. I know in being with your kids that their "boredom" and time at home with their sweet family has given them amazing imaginations, tenderness, and the strongest family bonds around. And that lasts. Good job! (and how cute is Ephraem?!?!)
Loved this post!
We only have 4 kids but are busy like you
Activities of Church, swim lessons (I teach the babyclass so we all get a discount and the same time slot) once a week and one kiddo in piano lessons. We may add more music lessons but i really don't want our lives controlled by sports or other activities that take us away from God and our family. We do have 2 homeschool groups but each meets 1 time a month and it's a whole family thing... not divided by ages.
Ephraem is CUTE!
سيارة تسليك مجاري بالخبر
سيارة تسليك مجاري بالإحساء
Post a Comment