Tuesday, December 4, 2007

A Joke For Ya'll!

Q:What do you get when a bunch of Texans move to Wisconsin?
A: A "Texas-sized" snowstorm!

We got 10 inches of snow over the weekend and it's been snowing all day. They expect up to a foot of snow before it's all over. Gotta love "lake-effect" snow.

Which brings me to my next topic. Driving in snow!
I've been away from this stuff for 7 1/2 years while living in Texas. This morning it was snowing. I checked the forecast and it said we were supposed to get 2-4 inches of accumulation. We have our Catholic homeschool coop every 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month so it was on for today. I almost didn't go. Something inside of me said, "Stay! Stay home! Clean your home while you stay home!". But, I kinda figured that if I was never going to go out while it was snowing I may not ever get out all winter. So...we went. Bad call! I stayed through lunch and then decided to head. Pulling the little ballerina out of her class was hard, but it was worth it. The roads were horrendous. I was white knuckling it all the time, and I don't think the kids said a single word...if they did, I sure didn't hear them. At one point I remember praying that the light at the bottom of the hill would stay green because I was going through either way. Whoever planned a city in the north on a hillside was obviously delusional. The interstate looked like our alley, I could barely make out tire tracks and the bridge was worse. At one point I remember looking up and noticing that we were at the top of the bridge. I had no clue where we were, I was just following the little track in front of me in hopes that it would bring me to Wisconsin.
Although it was scary and I don't want to do that ever again, I'm sooooo glad we left when we did because shortly after that they closed the bridges and a lot of my friends got stuck in Duluth. I'm so thankful for being home tonight, and extra thankful because the concert Brett was supposed to be in tonight was cancelled. Yahoo!!!!!
This snow stuff is crazy! I just can't believe how much we're getting. The locals claim that we haven't had this much in a long time, but I remember some locals claiming that mid-80s was rare for October in Texas yet that seemed to happen every year we were there. :-)

3 comments:

Meredith said...

I'm so glad that you guys made it safely home. Those are scary drives, for sure. And even better that Brett can be home with you tonight (even if he's out scooping snow!). Me, I am supposed to be writing the Christmas letter. Hm, I procrastinate.

Lindsey said...

Oh WOW! I don't envy you with that white stuff one little bit! I'm so glad you were safe (lots of guardian angels protecting your car!) and your home now, nice and warm. Stay put!

Chad said...

Welcome to the North! We only have a few inches of snow here, I was wishing we'd get more, that is until I had to drive. I forgot how much I dislike driving in the snow! I really do enjoy snow and storms, I just don't like venturing out in it. Glad you made it home, what a stressful drive! Oh, and by the way, Chad had a nice talk with Brett the other day! ;^) Good to hear from you guys--stay warm, as the girls like to remind me--it's not even the first day of winter yet!!! LOL!