This being a mom thing sure has taught me a few lessons. Humility being at the top of the list of course. I like the word humility much better than embarrassment. It just has a better ring to it.
For instance, tonight at karate, a little girl about 4 years old was playing with my girls. She was there last night too. I think her dad is a single father, and she looks like my children would if Brett were to dress them every day (and I'm no fashionista if that tells you anything). I'm ashamed to say I was just thinking to myself,"poor girl, her hair is ratty, she hasn't been bathed, and I'm pretty sure she was wearing that same outfit the day before." My eye was then caught by my 3-year-old whose pigtails were crooked, who had chocolate on her shirt, and who was for a fact wearing the same outfit she wore the day before. Oops.
To continue with the 3-year-old: I had the two littlest ones at a store desperately hunting for something I deemed acceptable for my two oldest girls to wear (more on this later) this summer and I heard a song over the speaker. I will admit to cringing at the words and wondering to myself if this is what people really listened to. Just then I hear from my sweet red-head who has no problems with projection, "Hey mom, 'It's just you and me BABY!'" (which were the words in the song) And of course softer so no one could hear, "We have that just you and me baby book out home (she says "out" for "at" and we haven't had the guts to correct her yet).
As we were exiting the store with a handful of items (some of which are going back because my girls have opinions. What?!) we walked passed the swimsuits. Veronica took one look at the life-sized model and said, "Woa!"
It's good for me, this humility stuff. In fact, I'm humbled daily by experiences in my own home.
Like this one:
A big sister and little sister making toast in the morning. It doesn't look like my kitchen fairy came the night before. Probably was getting into the wine. :-)
And this one:
My fiery red head who wants to help all the time. With butter-knife in hand she's helping me cut olives for tacos.
And this one:
Her very existence is humbling!
1 comment:
Yo Joneses.. What's your new family email address? Shoot it to me at email@carsonw.com
Post a Comment