Maybe it's because my 11-year-old son is almost as tall as me.
Maybe it's because I feel as old as I am this pregnancy.
Maybe it's because every time I turn my camera on the first thing I see is Miss Felicity hooked up to every machine imaginable and I'm reminded about how amazingly precious life is.
Maybe it's because I've seen too many moms blow their kids off as they sit and scroll and stare at their iWhatevers.
Whatever the reason, I've decided to take the plunge and say good-bye to Facebook.
Yes, I know, Facebook itself isn't bad. I've reconnected with many good friends from my past and have also connected with new friends. I enjoy seeing my friends' families, and hearing about how they are doing. Facebook has been a source of encouragement for me during rough times, and a source of information during times of crisis.
But here's the thing. Even when I'm not actually "on" Facebook, it has this way of creeping into my life. I care about my friends, both past and present (who doesn't, really?), and throughout the day I find myself preoccupied with whatever I was reading on Facebook. Maybe it's just the way I'm wired, but it seems like I can't get away from it all.
I truly don't intend to make a dramatic exit. I did mention this departure simply because I want to make sure I have contact information for some people before I say my farewell.
A lot of good has come from Facebook for a lot of people. I think, though, at least in my case, more "not good" has come. I could give myself limits, I could "cull" my list of friends, but in the end I think the best approach is just leaving. I will miss many things about being connected with so many people, but I have a feeling I will connect closer to those around me and find many things that I've been missing while being so "connected".
1 comment:
First off yay-your pregnant.
We're trying-
I said goodbye to facebook last fall and it still creeps in even though I'm not on it! Hugs. So-we sooo need to talk! I agree about your opinion of facebook
Post a Comment