Tuesday, February 24, 2015

February Check-In

Ah, February.  Typically known as "burnout month" for homeschoolers, and I'm guessing for teachers across the board (or maybe students...or maybe both).  Is it the lack of sunshine, the cold, the brown (or white), the mundane?

In years past I've tried to stave off the February blues by looking ahead to the following school year and look at books and curriculum.  It would truly rejuvenate my spirit and get me excited about homeschooling again.  This year I'm living in the present.  I'm trying to be intentional about how I spend my days, how I approach this awesome task of homeschooling and child-rearing.  (Hint: "Teaching from Rest: A Homeschoolers Guide to Unshakable Peace" by Sarah Mackenzie has been instrumental in the way I see myself in this role as a homeschooling mom of many)

That doesn't mean our life is calm and quiet and blissful.  There are 8 people living under one roof and we've been blasted with some really cold temps which means no outside time for a handful of days. And there are 8 people living under one roof, and it's been cold....oh, did I say that already.  :)

*****

Just this afternoon in fact, the "sweetest toddler in the world" was the "most adorable ever" playing with play dough at the table like such a big kid.  I ran to the back of the house to grab my camera.  As soon as I had the camera in my hand, "Boom! SCREAM!!!!" Adorable, sweet toddler took a nose-dive off the chair, landed flat on her face, and now has a beautiful, fat, bloodied lip to prove it.

She feels insulted when we make her sit in her booster chair.
Moments later she was standing on the keys of the piano trying to grab a book off the top of the piano.  A book that was, no doubt, placed on the top of the piano for the precise reason of being "out of reach" to her sweet, adorable little hands.  In the words of Charlie Brown, "Good grief!" 

*****

So, what was I saying?  Ah, yes.  February.  Up here this "dry spot" of the year creeeeeeeps into much of March as well.  

3 things that I'm doing to make this February the greatest yet!

1. I'm making time for reading.  I love reading blogs and I love reading "homeschooling" books and "mothering" books, but I'm talking about some serious, just-because-I-want-a-good-story reading.  I just finished "Pilgrim's Inn" by Elizabeth Goudge.  I have "Scent of Water" waiting on my night stand taunting me. The excuse "I don't have time" just never sits quite right with me.  We're all given the same amount of time just with different things that fill that time.  What we choose to do with the time is what can make all the difference.  

2. Getting outside.  Okay, so for full disclosure I do have to say that this afternoon I sent all children outside so I could sit in peace and write.  And, we've had some nasty-cold weather lately.  But...even on those cloudy, not-quite-warm-enough-but-not-dangerously-cold days I've been making a point to get outside.  Soul food!

3.  Limiting social media.  There ya have it.  I've said it before, I'll say it again...I get sucked in.  I really do.  It's in my nature to wonder and fret and to be curious about how every one I've ever known is doing.  Guess what?  It eats away at me little by little until I notice that I'm snapping at my kids and using too much brain power trying to analyze what's going on in the lives of those I don't know all that well.  There is so much good on the internet these days, but if all that good is taking me away from the "best and single most important" then it's not all that good.

Look who decided to hang out on a tree by our house.

He warned me that he didn't like his picture being taken, and then took off.  
How's your February?  Anything helping to keep the "blah" away?

5 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Smiling and nodding throughout this post. Could comment on EVERYTHING but *my* toddler says "No you CAN'T."

Elizabeth Goudge,great choice. I am plowing my way through The Beloved (alternately known as i Promessi Spousi) (if, you know, I was reading it in the original Italian) and I am finally--FINALLY--getting caught up in the plot, because that's what a good book can do.

I'm just a bit out of practice, is all. Too much FB, too little deep reading.

So stay the course, Miss Meghan! And know that you are loved AND missed.

Margaret in Minnesota said...

PS. Do you need to book a room for two at the Berns hotel this May?

Meredith said...

Nice to hear from you, Meghan! I'm reading here, too, and packing, and getting outside for quick sips of fresh air, and enjoying dinner (once!) with my hubby after the kids were in bed. This month hasn't been half-bad, though I can't wait for spring!

Your little toddler is toooo cute!

Margaret in Minnesota said...

Coming back to correct my mistake (because I am just that OCD): I'm reading The Betrothed, not The Beloved. It's this month's Well Read Mom selection, and my mistake would have bugged me 'til I changed it!

Like I said, OCD to the 'nth degree.

Meghan said...

I saw the original Italian and just new it was the Bethrothed. 😉

Reservation for 1 for sure....yay, can't wait! Pray that my nursing toddler wants to wean by then. I'm usual not in a hurry, but this girl is a demanding gal. I have no intentions of bringing her and every intention of sipping my coffee slowly and soaking up every moment!

My travel companion may stay home this time because my in laws will be here.