Thursday, September 13, 2007

Say what?

Aidan and I were playing chess (yes, chess) right before lunch today. I had to call Brett to clarify a rule we were unsure about since Aidan and my chess-playing skills are fairly equal to one another. He clarified while laughing at the fact that I had to ask and then walked through the door about 1 1/2 minutes later for lunch.

We were nearing the end of the game and apparently Aidan felt that he was stuck (although he was beating me) and exclaimed, "CRAP!"

(gasp!)

Knowing that I must have heard that wrong since we are a household that does not use the words "butt", "hate", "stupid", "shut-up", and other such words that are unsuitable for little mouths to utter, I asked Aidan to clarify, "CRAP!" he said as clear as day. "CRAP!" Emma repeated giggling because she could tell that Brett and I were absolutely floored and finding it difficult to remain composed.

"Uh...Aidan...we do not use that word in our house, okay?"

"Oh, okay!"

I have no idea where he learned such a word, and I have only one thing to say about this little incident....CRAP!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

uh oh!!!

LOL

I will admit I say that and worse occasionally in front of my kids. Mine sound particularly naughty when they say (especially the 2 year old), "What the HECK??!?" I have told them it doesn't sound nice to say that (but I think it sounds really funny, and I do try not to laugh or smile).

I bet Aidan heard someone on the street or something say it. Hopefully not us when we ever visited together! :O!

Anonymous said...

Lord, help us!

Were I in your shoes, I would have been unable to suppress laughter. I'm impressed with your composure.