Sunday, August 23, 2009

Family times

The days of endless family time are coming to a close. Who am I kidding anyway? Summer is never just "free" time around here. It is a fun change of pace, and the pressure is off a little bit, but we manage to keep plenty busy.

Last week we had our first day of school here at "Sacred Heart Homeschool", and the routine and familiarity of "doing school" was the change of pace we needed, to be sure. We had a few bumps, mainly bumps including children forgetting that whether your teacher is your mommy or another man/woman who is dedicated to educating children, one must show respect. It's also not a good idea to tell your teacher what you think you would like to do and not do, etc... While we're on the topic, it's also not a good idea to throw a big fit about being expected to "do too much" when your school day goes from 8:30am-2:00pm with plenty of breaks, outside time, and free reading time. Yeah, I'm anticipating that my pupils will "get it" a little more this week.

I truly love teaching these little minds. I learn new fun facts every day. For instance, did you know that it is possible for a pre-schooler to think of herself as unworthy of being a preschooler if she cannot get the counting bears to hold hands? "I just can't do pwee-school mommy. My bewahs keep scwunching into each other and they won't hold hands!". This same pre-schooler taught me a thing or two. For instance, fudgesicles will never be fudgesicles to me again. They are fudgestickles because they are on sticks. Makes perfect sense.

Enough ramblings for today. Naptime is almost over and then we will be enjoying this beautiful fall weather. Really, I could say summer, but it's just not true. It's beautiful and sunny, and breezy and chilly all at the same time. I'm afraid our 5 days of summer are over and fall is pushing it's way up here.

No comments: