Monday, April 23, 2012

My "Littles"

I took the two youngest to the grocery store this evening.  Now that we live "out of town" I have to make good use of my trips "to town" (don't I sound so country?  I love it!).  Tonight the older three were at karate and with my in-laws in route (Wednesday!) we had some grocery gettin' to do.  I dropped the older three off and we headed to the grocery store.  What was I thinking?

When I had only two small children I would never, but NEVER even dream about a grocery shopping expedition at 5:00pm.  My whole day would revolve around my errands.  Is everybody pottied/freshly changed, fed, and watered?  Is the rest of my day cleared?  Okay good, groceries here I come. 

As we added to our family, it remained the same.  I would do our errands in the morning, right after breakfast, before lunch, but not too close to lunch, and never close to naptime. 

Again, what was I thinking?  I stuck my sweet baby in the cart, after detoxing the handles and anything else I imagined might come into contact with my little 13-month-old, told the 3-year-old no she may not "ride" on the cart until she could show me that she could walk like a big girl next to me, and we were off! 

It took me an hour!  An hour!  I can do a large, "there's nothing in the house at all, we're desperate" grocery run in less than an hour with all five kids.  Why did it take me so long?  I imagine it was partly because my list-holder kept eating my list and then throwing it on the ground.  However, I think the biggest reason was because I had two small children out in the evening by myself.  It's not easy having small children.  Those of us who have some "bigs" or at least "middles" mixed in with our "littles" easily forget what the dynamics of having those small ones is like.  Man, it's hard work.  I'm often asked how I do it with five kids.  Honestly?  I can honestly say that it's easier now than it's ever been.  My older kids help out more than I ever thought possible, and my younger ones love being with their older siblings so I have more time to do things like fold the laundry without a babe in arms and even *gasp* take a shower without a little one playing with Q-tips on the other side of the curtain. 

I smiled at the cashier when she commented on my "helpers".  I didn't want to hurt Nica's feelings so I just said, "Yes, they are good helpers", but I really wanted to tell the lady that my real help wasn't with me. 

P.S.  I want to thank the lady in front of me at the checkout.  I contemplated saying something to her, and then asking to borrow her 12ish-year-old son to help me unload groceries, but I didn't.  However, I did appreciate her putting a different magazine in front of this week's "Glamor" with the nude woman on the front.  I tried turning that one around just the day before, but surprise, surprise, the picture on the back wasn't much better.  I never thought of just covering it with a "cake decorating" magazine!  Thank you!!!!


No comments: