Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day

Like many families, homeschooling or otherwise, we went back to school today.  Although I've had everything I needed for this school year since last spring, I hadn't opened boxes or gathered materials so that they made any sense.  We've been so busy this summer and the littlest of our crew is busy, busy, BUSY which makes planning time non-existent.

Monday morning came around regardless of how I felt about it.  All in all we had a great day.  I'm trying to provide the flexibility that comes with homeschooling with my little ones while at the same time trying to instill responsibility with those older ones.  Alarms were set, routines were implemented, and every one was happy.  Well, almost every one.  The 3-year-old and 18 month-old were starved, STARVED I tell you, for attention.  I have a very wise friend who, although she homeschools, has sent her pre-schoolers to pre-school.  How very, very wise.  My pre-schooler is giving me a run for my money, already.  I entered this year with a workable "schedule/routine" and a pep-talk I'd given myself about welcoming interruptions because, after all, what amazing little blessings these "interruptions" were.  For the most part my trickery worked, however, I'm not quite as psyched for the rest of the year as I would like to be at this point. 

Coming in a following post is what we are doing for school this year.  You don't want to miss it.  Okay, really, it's no big deal, but I love reading what everyone else is doing.  I love it more now that I'm fairly confident in our approach and a blog-post at the beginning of the school year no longer sends me on an internet search for a brand-new curriculum because what I have is just not going to work, because so-and-so@somerandomblog.com says so.  :-) 

And with that, I present the ever-so-popular first day of school pictures!








1 comment:

Meredith said...

A few things. Happy first day of school! I love your kids. I am especially fond of Aidan (because I don't have enough boys to love). He is growing into a wonderful young man. Yes, manhood is around the corner!

Trouble - ha ha!! So adorable.

Veronica gives you a run for your money? But she's so perfectly adorable!

I have "made the call" about preschool for Joseph, after a particularly trying week/weekend. Actually, it's just a drop-in at the Catholic preschool, and it's super-cheap ($3-something per hour) and tempting. But they're full! Of course, it's a little late in the year to ask. I'm on the waiting list, and if they call, he's going at least one morning a week. Suddenly, it all made soooo much sense to me. But for now, he'll color on our walls and tackle the baby and scream and....

Sorry I missed your call today. We were out picking up Simon early due to an "explosive".... ah, I suppose that's enough for a blog comment.