Saturday, September 1, 2012

Our 2012-2013 School Year

I never intended to homeschool.  In fact I was dead set against it.  I didn't want socially inept children even if they could recite all the state's capitols backwards while playing Chopin.  Brett first brought up the subject because of his undergraduate college professor who homeschooled their children.  I also started leaning towards the idea of homeschooling as our family grew and as I completed my degree.  Honestly, I wasn't too impressed with the future of education as I saw it in the individuals with whom I was taking classes.  But really, the main reason we decided to homeschool was so we could be with our children and learn as a family and instill the values we held dear to our hearts.



We continue to homeschool for much the same reasons.  My children are developing into people who I enjoy being around (most of the time, they aren't perfect nor am I).  We are a close family who has fun in the simple things.  


My approach to homeschooling has changed along with my children's needs.  While I would love to do only unit studies and spend our days on long nature hikes, my original homeschooler needs a little more structure and predictability. 


Our biggest challenge this year has been my two little ones.  Nica-3 (very, very, very 3) is feeling the absence of her playmates and although is willing to play with the littlest one of the group, doesn't always find that Felicity is quite as willing.  I've adapted my original plan of the year to include some time for just my little ones, right away in the morning.  Many a wise homeschooling mother has recommended this approach.  We shall see if it works. 

Almost every year I've changed almost every thing as far as curriculum is concerned.  I have finally arrived to a place where I am really, really happy with what we are using and other than adding a few things, we are continuing with much of what we did last year.

And so with that, I present our 2012-2013 homeschooling year curriculum choices.

Math- MathUSee.  We started this last year and everyone loved it.  I'm pleased with it as well.  

Spelling-  Spelling Power.  This book has daily (5 minute) tests and you only review the words that are missed.  You keep spelling them until they are learned.  No weekly tests with words that are automatically forgotten after Friday.

Religion- While at the homeschooling conference this year a friend ordered Family Faith Formation for her family.  I wasn't quite ready to commit then, but after doing some research went ahead and ordered it for our family as well.  This program look fantastic, and Brett will be able to be involved as well which will be awesome.  


Science-  NOEO Physics I and II.  We did their Biology last year and I can't say enough about this amazing program.  They make science fun and very homeschoolable (good word, huh?)  No more searching for a used car battery to perform some "101 household items" science experiment.  All materials are included and the kids are learning from a mix of hands on and real books.  

 Reading- Gianna is beginning the Seton Grade 2 readers.  Solid reading for a new reader.  I stopped formal reading for the older two awhile ago.  They read well beyond their "grade level".  They will be reading several literature books as part of our history program.

History- Connecting with History.  It's a living history, classical, and Catholic approach to history.  Not the cheapest option available, but the materials/books are amazing.  There are a lot of read alouds involved which our family enjoys.

 Writing/English-  The oldest two are beginning IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing).  I'm very impressed with this program.  My husband is a college professor and the papers he brings home make me want to cry.  These are high school graduates writing at a second grade level.  I'm not exaggerating a bit.  Brett is actually going to start incorporating some of the IEW methods in his teaching. 
                          All three of the kids will be working through some Seton English workbooks.  It's solid stuff, and sometimes ya just have to sit down and do a workbook.  There, I said it. 

I think that does it.  The preschooler is going to get a lot of books read to her.  That's my goal anyway.  We don't do formal preschool lessons (except I am going to try some stuff out of "Slow and Steady, Get me Ready", a recommendation from a dear friend who also has little ones who want attention, the nerve of those little ones), but reading we do, and I need to do more of it for the little red head and her trusty 2-ft companion.

The pictures are from our crab-apple picking adventure.  The crab-apples are most likely going to be turned into wine, what else right?  My husband and his wine making addiction hobby will have to wait for another post.

7 comments:

Megan R said...

Tell me more about Noeo science. Would you use for 2&4 graders? I've heard good things about it. We are doing Apologia Astronomy this year because we own it already but am thinking ahead to next year.

Karla said...

Haven't heard of the NOEO, so will check it out. Love IEW. I've taught it at home and for groups. Check out the history of it... The method was started by a college professor of African studies who wanted to help his students write better. Pretty soon everyone wanted to take his history class so they could be better writers. Maybe Brett will have the same success. :-)

Meredith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meredith said...

I'm glad to hear that you got the Family Formation materials. I only got the First Reconciliation and we've done Little Lambs before, but I think they do a great job, with those anyway!

Thanks for sharing your curriculum choices. I will reference this (and you!) down the line.

Veronica looks like she's about 30 in that last picture of her. Amazing. She's gorgeous!

Meghan said...

Noeo science is wonderful. From the design of the curriculum straight down to the ordering process.

We currently are using Physics I and Physics II. A & E are doing II, and E & G are doing I. I'm having Emma do both because there is a lot of info that carries over from one to the other.

The basic "plan" is read or read to the student the assigned pages and then sketch and summarize what you learned (or just summarize depending on the age, but Aidan still really benefits from his sketching). For the experiments there is an experiment page to fill out (tailored to the level of the student).

The experiments are simple, yet the kids enjoy them and they pertain to what they are reading. All of the materials are provided in the experiment kit except really common items (not "supposed" common items like most science curricula list).

The books are great. Think DK, Usborne, good pictures books, some Dover, and biographies.

The ordering is simple. Some books overlap the subject (they offer biology, chemistry, and physics) and they have packages that reflect that. So, if you only need the experiment kit, they have that option. If you need Chemistry II, but not the "Usborne Science Encyclopedia" they have that option as well.

The kids had impressive Science Notebooks last year, and I imagine this year will be the same. I'm finally happy with the science we are doing.

Tisha Frost said...

Thanks for posting this! We are discerning homeschooling and I am previewing/reviewing curriculum like a fool. I love that history program! I have been searching for a history program that is classical/unit study but also Catholic. Awesome. Good luck with this year!

Heather K said...

Glad you post this stuff
We're planning to homeschool our kiddos at this point in time. I'm doing some preschool stuff with Zander now but after reading Dr Dobson's bringing up boys book, I'm not so worried about being super organized with him yet. He won't be 4 till Jan. Then when I start-expect a phone call from me cuz I'd love your expert advice (meaning you've been through it) Love ya!