I've often joked about the sun heading south for the winter and not returning until about June. When the sun comes back up (on holiday) it is often way too cold to head outside and enjoy the rays. One thing I've learned since returning to the north after our stint in Texas is that regardless of what it looks like outside it is always beneficial to make an effort to get out and enjoy some fresh air.
A few days ago we did just that. We found a great, underused snowmobile trail just minutes from our house, bundle the crew up, and went for a little hike.
We had a great time, and the woods were absolutely beautiful! Even Felicity had a blast.
I will admit that it often feels overwhelming to make the effort to get out in the winter. The house is warm, there are 10 little hands and feet, and 5 heads that need bundling. But, it is always, always, always worth it. Being out in nature is something Brett and I did often when were dating and newly married. Luckily for me, he has continued to be insistent that our children learn to enjoy the outdoors. We're not talking about 3-week-long backpacking adventures here, just simple get-out-and-enjoy-the-beautiful-world-God-made adventures.
Yesterday after naptime I was considering asking the kids to watch the youngest one so I could jump on the treadmill and pretend to be working off some Christmas calories. I took one look outside, saw the snow falling, checked the temperature and decided to head outside instead.
It probably took close to 15 minutes to get the littlest ones ready, but I didn't give up and outside we went. 20-30 passes down (and back up) our sledding hill, and 2 hours later I brought a tired, but content group of kids back inside. Always worth the effort. Always.
Even this morning, when my 32-year-old body was screaming at me that I'm not as young as I used to be, I feel like it was worth it. I want to enjoy my children and I want my children see that I enjoy them. That doesn't always happen in the day-to-day tasks of running this household. I took time to play yesterday and it was a great reminder of how important that is to do. Get outside and play!
2 comments:
fun-hey i need your number. I accidentally deleted it before we went to Duluth. But honestly it was a 3 hour long appt and Gage was cranky by the time it was done after a two hour drive there-so we chilled at my Grandma's in Cloquet before heading home but I'd like to come see you in the Spring, and we could do something outside and let the kiddos run after the drive. I think about you whenever I think about the NICU days!
Thanks for this GREAT reminder! I pop on your blog every now and then for a bit of encouragement via a real life mom! :)
Thanks for sharing your faith and inspiration! ~Ashley
Post a Comment