Monday, August 26, 2013

School Days

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the start of school this year.  We usually follow Brett's schedule and he's back at work this week, but there is that whole it's-almost-baby-time thing.  In the end I decided to prepare some excellent lesson plans and dive in.  I'm glad we did.  We were all ready to begin again.  Veronica was especially excited because she started Kindergarten this year.  I don't really "do" grades, but knowing that she was actually doing school instead of being handed coloring pages was a big deal to her. 






I had to include this last picture lest you start to think that all of my children sit attentively and soak in every word of every lesson.  Of course when Felicity is the teacher she has our attention.

I'm very happy with how our school year started.  I'm trying to be more realistic with my expectations.  I haven't lowered them, really.  I've just changed them a bit.  I want these years to be memorable for my children.  I want them to look back on their homeschooling experience with fondness.  This year I'm focusing on loving these little people that God has put into my life.  I realize that sounds strange since of course I love my own children, but I want them to feel it to their core.  I probably never mentioned the low point of last year when my older two were watching their writing lesson and they were supposed to be coming up with words to describe their mother.  We had a particularly horrible day that day.  We laugh at their list now, but it stung at the time. 

I will post about what we're doing this year for our schooling later, unless a baby comes before I organize my thoughts on that.   

1 comment:

Heather K said...

How exciting, Love the Homeschooling stuff. I like that you don't really Do Grades.You'll have to tell me more