Penance? Sacrifice? Fasting? Abstinence? Almsgiving? What?!?!
My family has been through some trials recently. Nothing major. Okay, an almost-week-long hospital stay with a sweet little one with pneumonia and a grandma with a broken hip/leg could probably count as major. What about the baby with an ear infection and a 12-year-old with an allergic reaction to an antibiotic? Probably not too major. A snow storm and a dead chicken? Minor.
We've had trials before. Three Mardi Gras ago our family endured one of the most challenging, faith testing, scary times. It was the night before Ash Wednesday when Felicity silently came into our lives. Everything around me was busy, but she was silent. Not crying, not breathing, on her way out of this world.
The date of Mardi Gras changes every year, but I always remember, maybe too clearly still, everything I was feeling as the day went on.
Felicity Perpetua was baptized on Ash Wednesday. Our amazing priest could hear the concern in Brett's voice and came right to the hospital after Mass that morning. He's relayed to us just how accommodating the nursing staff was that day. It is not unusual for a baby to be baptized in the NICU. However, to have the certificate filled out, the water ready, the witnesses on standby. They were all too prepared.
Three years of this girl. She is, to date, the most challenging (in every way) child we've ever had. She has a demanding presence. And yet, what an absolute miracle she is. She'll throw a fit, and I'll think to myself, "At least she's here to throw this fit."
Lent was picked for us that year. I've said before that I haven't prayed that much in my entire life. God and I have had this understanding...from now on? I pick my Lent.
So we begin. I'm welcoming Lent with open arms. I'm in need of a transformation. I'm ready for the sacrifice it will involve. I've learned from years past that I need to write down "my list" and then pick about 3 items that really need work.
If I can pray for you this Lent, please let me know. Pray for me?
P.S. The picture of Sweet Cheeks is just because there are not enough cute baby pictures in all the world.
4 comments:
I love you, honey! Have a blessed & beautiful Lent.♥
PS. Please keep praying for my parents. Do you remember their names? Rita & George. :)
We've been praying for Rita and George every night, and will continue to do so.
Love you!
I still get chills every time I hear (read) you talk about that sweet sweet (spunky) girl. To this day, I can barely wrap my head around all of it and the timing is just even crazier. Only God.
Hope to see you soon! :)
I understand-other than the lent part. That's how I met you guys....the NICU. Our Gage was in the NICU for a long time too. We prayed a lot. Having babies in the hospital is freaky.
Hugs. I will never forget you my friend and if you need anything call. Been thinking about theNICU a lot these days-mostly because I'm pregnant. 32 weeks now! Gage turned 3 in February and he is also a very spunky one. I think the NICU surviors are that way. He is soooo different from his mellow brother.
Post a Comment