Last night I learned a lot.
We hosted a speaker who came to our Newman Center and spoke about abortion. She is intelligent, articulate, gentle. We had hoped that the advertisement for this event would bring a handful of proclaimed "pro-choicers", but as it was she was preachin' to the choir.
At the last minute we decided to switch the "point" of the speech and instead we had a "answers to the top 10 pro-choice 'questions' seminar". It was so helpful and so empowering. My pro-life stance has developed overtime and I know that my experience last night has solidified it even further. However, I learned to brush away the anger at the "other side" and to be confident in the pro-life cause without needing to harp on the "other side". People who are pro-choice are not horrible, awful, evil people. No, they are concerned for the same women that I am concerned for.
An "a-hah" moment that I wanted to share from last night:
"In America, one of the most developed, richest, and compassionate nations in the world, are we really offering these broken women (the ones who are seeking abortions) our best? Is our best really paying for them to kill their babies? Are we not strong enough, wealthy enough, and caring enough to do better for these women?"
We were up late last night, and I did tell the kids that we were doing school today so I think I should leave on that note. I'm pondering a lot today. On the Feast of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary I know what my prayer will be. How about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment