I'm not sure when it happened. High school probably. Sometime, longer ago than I would like to think, I fell in love with Dr.Pepper and Cherry Coke. I have no will power when the stuff is in my house. None whatsoever. The irony in all of this? I'm a label reader. I try with all of my might to avoid high fructose corn syrup. I feed my family (mostly) good wholesome foods. I shop the perimeter of the store (you know where all of the "good" stuff is). I do it all right. But, then that sparkly sweet goodness calls my name and I can't resist! Pathetic I know.
Pathetic no more! I have had my last! I've made the decision to not drink the stuff again. Really, truly. Why do I go to such extremes to avoid HFCS in my food and yet in one quick swig I ingest enough of the stuff for a lifetime, not to mention all of the other stuff in sodas? Sort of like the women who eat organic everything and don't want any hormones in their milk, but will have no scruples when it comes to putting hormones directly into their blood stream for the sake of "planning". Oh, but boy is that a post for another day! :-)
Anyway, if you see me shaking or biting my nails, don't fret. It's just withdrawl. I will get through. I will conquer this ridiculous obsession!
8 comments:
I am trying to break that nasty habit. I love cherry dr pepper, dr pepper, and cherry coke. Such yummy goodness. It really is bad for me though.
You trying to open a can of worms with the b/c question/comment? :)
Hope you are doing wonderfully so far in this new year.
Oh, the guilt. Coke is my stomach-soother of choice when I am pregnant & nauseated, which I am! Although it doesn't seem to be working as well this time...good luck w/ your resolution! Glad to have your blog to keep up with you better. Did I send you mine in my Christmas letter? www.m-catherinemuller-g.blogspot.com. I write under my middle/saint's name b/c of legal clients. Hope to hear from you soon! Melissa
Katie- Oh deary no! I'll open that can of worms later. :-) Right now I just want a can of carbonated sweetness...lol!
MELISSA!!!!! I will at a later date list all of the times I have thought of you since our "separation". Lol! I am soooo happy to be back in touch with you and I love that you blog too. You didn't include the address in your letter and I'm glad to have it now!!!! We must catch up soon.
I feel partly responsible for this little addiction of yours. I will neither confirm nor deny that I may have made many of said beverages readily available for your consumption. lol
This is one of my guilty pleasures as well. I have cut back tremendously but can't quite kick the habit. Thank goodness it's all gotten so expensive that I can only buy it when there are huge sales which is not often.
Ange-Oh the memories! :-) Yes, we've consumed more than our fair share of the stuff together that's for sure!
Ha! I have un-upped you for once! I no longer drink ANY soda, NOR do I take BC. (Although it was my savior for years) ;) I am hormone-free...well...hmmmm...except for my migraine prevention meds. But you know what? No migraines=sanity for me. :)
I'm soda-free in 2010 too. I don't feel addicted, so it hasn't been all that hard. I don't buy the stuff to keep in the house, and I was raised in a family that only ever ordered water at a restaurant. So, my only trouble is when I go over to someone's house who keeps it in-house (my inlaws).
I drink unsweet tea if I want something other than water. Since I love it, this is not as sacrifice.
Best of luck to you Meghan! You can do this! Think of all the empty calories you are avoiding!!
Sorry for the typos...I was posting amid distractions. :)
Post a Comment