Saturday, January 30, 2010

Reclaiming my house, reexamining my role

There are 4 little bodies in this house. 4 bodies who have clothes, toys, stuff, hands that touch, feet that shed socks. Oy! I'm in constant "put that away" mode. If we let one day go without tidying up at the end of it, we have trouble. We have big trouble, a grouchy mommy, and unhelpful children.

I could complain about all this work, about having to constantly remind the kids to pick up after themselves, to finish the jobs they were given, to work joyfully. I could whine and say how my life is so hard, how I don't ever get a break, how I just want everyone to leave me alone!!! But, I won't. I won't because I've done that, and it doesn't do a bit of good.

Last week was "one of those weeks". If you are a mom of young kids you know exactly what I'm talking about. I was constantly harping on the kids to do their work, constantly whining about everything I had to do, constantly being a big grouch. Wow! That week was long. Really long.

After I had a few moments to think about the tone in our home and the tone that I desire our home to have, I came to one conclusion. It starts with me. I can't expect the children to do their work joyfully if I'm complaining about my own. I can't expect the kids to speak to each other with love and kindness if I'm snapping at them about...well...everything. How can I expect such behavior from my children if I'm not exhibiting it myself?

Fast forward to this week. I've been purposeful in my actions this week. I finished that "last" load of laundry, all of the way. I picked up the lunch dishes and straightened the living room while the kids were nearby working on other things. I spent time with the Lord instead of checking what my "friends" had to say. I've kept my cool even though the kids were unruly, I smiled at my children more and criticized them less. We've had great conversations about God's love and how to reflect that in our lives. We've laughed together, read together, enjoyed one another. What a difference!

There has been peace in this house. A real and true peace. Despite the fact that the kids were sick and I still had to cook 3 meals a day and do two loads of laundry a day, despite the fact that no one in this house is perfect, we had peace. Peace that only comes in knowing and accepting one's true vocation for life, and knowing and accepting the One who has made the call to that vocation.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Thank you Meghan. This was a blessing to read tonight. I would love to talk to you sometime, if we both could ever chisel out some time to chat (haha, impossible it seems!)

Love,
lindsey