Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Real Feel"

Brett and I have made a joke between ourselves wondering just who determines the "real feel" temps. that we often see below the actual temperature on the news or online. Is there some poor guy who they send out and say, "Okay, it's -6, but if you had to wager a guess how cold would you say it was?". The poor man, after turning blue, with his teeth chattering, manages to utter, "30 below!". "Alright boys! You heard him! -6 with a 'real feel' of -30! Those people in Wisconsin are going to love this one!"

So today the sun is bright and there are no clouds in sight which is why it is currently 6 below zero with a "real feel" of -30! I'm not complaining, I love the north. Eventually the beautiful sun will go away, the clouds will come back, and we'll be able to drag ourselves out of doors again. Eventually meaning June.

In the meantime I am thankful for the little "up" button on my thermostat and for kids who like to snuggle and keep me warm.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Here they call it a "Feels like" temp, which sounds kind of unfinished!

Have I told you that I got hives, twice, due to cold temperatures (direct exposure to skin) when I was a teen? Yes, I'm a total wimp. One time I was playing tennis in a skirt with bare legs in the winter; the other time, I was in a bathing suit on a brisk spring day at a waterpark.

I don't think I would fare well in Wisconsin winter. I'm not sure how many decades it would take me to acclimate!