This weekend was the first time we took our sweet baby to Mass. "Really God?" I wanted to say. "The gospel about bringing Lazarus back from the dead? Will I never be able to go to Mass without crying? Ever?"
Our deacon, who is a firefighter/fire inspector, preached about when he witnessed a man being brought back to life after he had stopped breathing and his heart had stopped beating. He spoke about miracles that happen today. The only objection I had was with his use of the word "luck". Luck is nowhere to be found in miracles.
We continue to call Felicity our miracle baby. She is a miracle in so many ways, but the saving of her life started several months back. I can see it now, but didn't then.
We have been looking at houses out in the country since about October of 2010. We met with disappointment house after house. Our offer wasn't accepted, we didn't get our offer in on time, the seller's didn't want to sell afterall, and the list goes on. Although we kept saying we wanted "God's will" to be done, I would be lying if I said that we weren't disappointed and getting very annoyed.
Fast forward to the night that Felicity was born. All of the houses we were looking at were 20 minutes out of town. 20 more minutes and we would have been planning a funeral for our sweet girl.
The lady who watched our other kids the night we went in because I hadn't been feeling our sweet baby moving lives right around the corner. She works with Brett. She doesn't normally watch our kids. Brett insisted on calling her instead of our friends who live a ways away. It was a blessing that she was home, that she didn't have a concert or rehearsal that evening. Erin later shared with us that she wasn't in too much of a rush to get to our house because Brett just said that we were going to go in just to make sure everything was okay. All of sudden, she shared with us, she had a sense of urgency come over her and she threw her stuff together, hopped in her car and rushed over. Praise God!
There's more. The OB who delivered Felicity in a record breaking emergency c-section was at the hospital teaching a class. I was going to a Family Practice doctor for my OB cares. The hospital where I delivered doesn't have an "in-house" OB, just one on call. We didn't have time to wait for an on-call OB to come.
All of the nurses that were on that evening for both me and Felicity (which were the ones that came over from the hospital with the NICU) were senior nursing staff and were fabulous. The neonatologist that came for the transfer was also experienced and wonderful! He remains one of our favorites. We didn't know at the time that we were going to be getting to know him quite well.
Once all of these pieces were put together for me I couldn't help but take comfort in it all. Would God really take the time to make all of this happen if He didn't intend for Felicity to stay with us on earth for a little longer?
Miracles do happen today. We have proof!
2 comments:
That is so, so beautiful!
Oh my goodness, Meghan!! I don't know you personally, but you left a nice comment on my blog and we have a mutual friend in Meredith. One thing led to another (Meredith's mom told me about your blog), and here I am, reading your amazing story about Felicity! Unbelievable! Amazing! Miraculous! I have tears in my eyes reading her story...
We have a miracle baby (now 10 years old) in our family... I know ICU, and I know worrying about oxygen sat levels, and I know how one medication that helps one issue often causes problems in another area or two. I know how one step forward, two steps back feels and how beautiful it is when you finally get to the point where all the steps are forward.
God bless all of you, and may Felicity Perpetua with the beautiful name and sweet cherub face enjoy good health as you move forward.
Our little William's story is here, if you ever want to read it. http://munchkinsonthepath.blogspot.com/2009/01/our-miracle-eight-year-old.html
Post a Comment