Tuesday, November 26, 2013

About Homeschooling

I was recently asked by a few people about our decision to homeschool.  Instead of responding individually to each one I thought I would just write a post in case someone else might be curious about this crazy thing we do.

I always feel the need to add some disclaimers:

a) We choose to homeschool our kids, but that doesn't mean that I think I'm better than those you don't homeschool.  I might think my kids are better behaved, but that's a topic for another post completely.

b) I'm not afraid of the "real world".  We are a family who is very much a part of the world, although we choose to keep a lot of the garbage out of our home.

c) I love homeschooling, except when I don't.

d) I know there are great teachers and great schools.  I still think that homeschooling my children is the best option for our family.

Okay, on with the point of this post.

Why We Began Homeschooling

Before we had children Brett brought up this notion of homeschooling.  I thought he was crazy and dismissed the topic.  The homeschooled children I had been exposed to when I was in school were socially awkward or really behind the rest of us academically or way ahead of us academically.  They weren't easy to be around and were just strange.  Sorry if that sounds awful, but that was my perspective as a kid.  I didn't want "that type" of kid.  No way.  Case closed.

Brett's main professor and mentor in college homeschooled his children.  He liked what he saw and he thought that looked like a good plan for his (future) family.

I don't really know when I changed my mind.  It was somewhere between being pregnant and taking "education" classes in college.  I wasn't impressed with how my classes seemed to contradict one another. One class was telling us that tests were overrated and should never be given.  That students should not be motivated by grades.  Yet, other classes were focussing on the latest tests that students were required to take and how to help them score well.

After I graduated college I became an official stay-at-home mom.  Our oldest child was 18 months and baby #2 was on her way.  I loved being at home and interacting with these two little souls all day long.

Our Catholic faith (which wasn't always "our" faith, but became "ours" shortly after Aidan was born) is important to us.  I desire to have our faith so much a part of our family life that our kids can't see even a seam to where our lives and our faith connect.  I love that we start our school day with a prayer and the daily readings.  Homeschooling allows me to weave our faith into our learning each and every day.

(to be continued....)




3 comments:

Unknown said...

No.... I don't want this post to be over! I want to keep reading!!

9peasMom said...

Great beginning, I look forward to part 2.

Heather K said...

I like this post because we are planning to homeschool starting this fall...and people keep making comments of why we shouldn't. Although some are cool with it some think I need to have a masters degree or something and some are worried about socialization. I'm not worried at all but have you had people and even family ask you