In a week I will have the opportunity to do something that I haven't done for seven years. Audition for a show! Yikes! Why is it then that since this has come up I am a basketcase and cannot focus on a single thing....should I audition, shouldn't I, why should I?, why shouldn't I? It's been driving me crazy.
The Duluth Playhouse is putting on "My Fair Lady" this summer. Brett will be playing in it for sure, but it has yet to be seen if I can muster up the energy to go and audition. The show is in the summer, Brett would be here to watch the kids, I'm not pregnant or nursing (dang!), and my mom has volunteered to not only come up and stay during part of the run of the show but also pay for a sitter for the times that Brett and I would both be away for rehearsals/shows. So, what's holding me back?
Performing used to be the one thing that I missed once becoming a mother to small children. I would occasionally get to a show and would come home feeling so down about never getting to do them anymore. I used to get so angry at Brett for getting to play in shows yet I couldn't be in them. Some of our favorite memories are doing shows together, he in the pit, me usually dancing. I don't know when it changed, but I just don't feel that way anymore. I know it would be fun, and I can't say I'm worried about not getting in (it's a community show and the executive director used to direct me in shows back in South Dakota).
Ya'll will have to stay tuned to see what happens. At this point I truly do not know what I am going to do. Maybe getting an audition together would be a good start though, huh?
4 comments:
OH MY GOSH YOU HAVE TO DO IT! Are you CRAZY woman!!!??? DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! Like I said. . .I'm supportive. :-)
I might, I don't know. This is very "diva" of me, but the lead is being hired out and I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice pretty much my whole summer to be in a bunch of crowd scenes. We'll see. Plus it would be mean having someone other than Brett or I putting our kids to bed for a solid month...I don't like that. Lots of reasons to do it, lots of reasons not to.
I say GO FOR IT! Meghan, for the last 7 years you have given completely of yourself without expecting anything back. There is nothing wrong with you having a chance to feel some of that passion again that performing brings to your life. You know as well as I do that your talent is a gift from God. He wouldn't have given it to you if he didn't want you to use it! And it is not mean to have someone else put your kids to bed when you are the one who is always there for them providing everything they need. Besides, think of how fun it would be for them to be able to see you on stage! What a great way to teach them about something that was such an important part of your life growing up. I say DO IT!!!!
What have you decided? Did your good news put the acting on hold? =) I went back & forth on trying out for a local play this summer (I did a drama club at a local private school the past school year and a student's mom told me about it). But our schedule, "what do to with the kids" question, etc made me realize this just wasn't the right "season" of my life to do it this time around.
Post a Comment