
Veronica Therese!
8 lbs (and a half an oz) and 20.7" long
Born at 3:17am on Friday, Feb. 13th!
We're in love!
The short story:
Labor was fine...Veronica is healthy....we're home!
The longer version (for those who are interested in the "details" of labor):
I had been having contractions consistently for 24 hours about 4 minutes apart, but nothing too bad. I was GBS+ this time so my doctor's advice was to try to get to the hospital "sooner rather than later" so we could get a round of antibiotics in. We had a tasty meal of Jimmy John's compliments of Brett's parents (they gave the kids gift certificates for Valentine's Day), dropped the kids off at a friend's house, and went to the hospital not knowing if we were going to stay or not.
My doctor was on call so he got right there and checked me. I was at 3.5cm and 70% effaced so definitely progressing, but not too quickly. However he did think that since my contractions had been so consistent that he was more comfortable keeping me and delivering instead of sending me home. Contractions picked up significantly, I was allowed to do whatever during labor (I even got some ice cream...score!), got my antibiotics and after they were in for 4 hours my doctor broke my water (at about 2:20am). In the past I never have very significant contractions until my water is broken so we felt that since we were really doing this thing we should get things going. I was at a 5 when my doctor broke my water and within probably 15-20 minutes I was pushing. After a self-regulated pushing experience (sooooo much better than the "hold your breath 1..2...3...etc...pushing) our precious baby girl was born with a slew of witnesses...my doctor, a colleague of his since my doc is both my doctor and Veronica's doctor (in case either one of us needed any extra attention), a faculty doc (mine is a resident), two nurses, and the most amazing husband in the world! Veronica had swallowed some meconium so we were watching her closely, but she was pronounced perfect and I was allowed to breastfeed immediately. My placenta (remember my lovely placenta from before?) was giving us problems again and not wanting to detach. Praise God it finally did and upon inspection it looked like at some point it did indeed try to detach prematurely. I was checked out, declared good (no tears), cleaned up a bit (which I will forever claim is worse than labor) and we were left alone for a couple of hours to nurse and bond. Before my doctor left the room my nurse inquired about pitocin to help my uterus contract, and his final words before leaving the room were, "Let her nurse for as long as she wants..she makes her own pitocin" (at least the natural version of it). Have I said how much I love our doctor!!!!! Since you are the brave souls who wanted the detailed version of the birth I do have to share with you that my bleeding has been so much better after this birth. Usually I'm bleeding more than the nurses/doctor likes, but this time I've had no problems.
Recovery has been great. Verronica nurses like a champion, and is absolutely perfect (naturally).
5 comments:
So happy for you! Hope to get to meet her in person before too long.
Veronica is beautiful! So happy she's in your arms and you're both doing so well. Love to all of you,
The Friddells
Yay! Congrats to you all! I'm happy to hear labor went so well for you too as well as a natural for the breastfeeding...makes it easier. She's a cutie!
It was fun to Oovoo with you two last night! Tell Gigi we'll call her after supper tonight...or maybe we can Oovoo again? Hope her bday is going well!
Love ya,
Jocie
Congratulations once again!! This is a great picture. She has a subtle, angelic little smile that is most deserving of propagation on the www.
Bill D.
Post a Comment