Wednesday, September 7, 2011

No Mason Jars Here

This here post is mainly for the homeschooling moms out there.  I think everyone will find at least a minimal amount of humor in what I'm going to say, but unless you are a homeschooling mama, you just might not "get it".

Which brings me to my point.  I don't get it.  I don't get why this time of year and at unannounced times throughout the year the homeschooling mom blogs are full of artistic pictures which include a close-up of Mason Jars with perfectly sharpened pencils, colored pencils, or my favorite...paintbrushes. 

Now, I'm not trying to speak ill of these ladies.  I will admit to walking through the Mason Jar aisle at the store and longing to purchase them.  I knew that if my pencils were perfectly sharpened and beautifully arrange in that jar I, too, could be a perfect homeschooling mother.  Then, of course reality set in.  But where would I put the jars.  We don't have a school "room" and I certainly don't want to lock those beautiful jars in a closet, never to appear in an artistic shot on my blog.  So, there you have it...I'm Mason Jarless. 

It is indeed a travesty, but my children's writing utensils are packed away in $2.00 pencil bags from Target.  Pencil bags that may appear in a photograph at some point, but will undoubtedly go unnoticed by most.

P.S. If you are a homeschooling mom with Mason Jars please know that I'm just secretly jealous. 

4 comments:

Blair said...

I'm not a Mason Jar Mama, in fact our pencils are rarely sharpened because the sharpener is always jammed. Our writing utensils are found on every surface of the house and floor, bathroom, etc. as evidenced by two children who drew clown faces on themselves with non washable marker today and a baby who always has crayon bits in his diapers ;-)

But I thought you were going to rave about all the blog photos of Mason Jars filled with beautiful canned jams and such! That's what I keep seeing everywhere, and it makes me feel like the inadequate food mama! (not really, I'm just fascinated)

Meredith said...

Okay, thank you both for making me feel better at the end of this crazy first day of school!

Heidi said...

This made me laugh so hard. Really, not at you I promise, but I have an absurd amount of Mason Jars in my house. They are everywhere. Buttons, paint brushes, pens/pencils (although the latter are rarely sharpened), flower vases. I keep every glass jar we use and use it again for something else. I bet every room including the kids rooms has a jar repurposed for something else. It's actually a bit of an obsession really.

I don't think I've ever posted a picture of them though. Maybe I should.

Claudia said...

Okay, I'm just a grandma of a home schooling family.....so haven't read the literature.....

Does Charlotte Mason use Mason jars?