Thursday, September 29, 2011

Enjoying Fall Daybook

For Today: September 29, 2011

Outside my window...We have brilliant fall colors starting to emerge! Surrounding our house are large Maple, Oak, and Birch Trees.  Yes, yes, yes!!!!  Currently it's cold and raining, but I'm not going to focus on that.

In the Kitchen...We've done a lot of cleaning in our kitchen lately.  Cleaning for visitors, okay I lie, cleaning because of visitors.  Miniature furry, four-legged, long-tailed visitors to be exact.  I'm thoroughly disgusted and annoyed with these unwelcome, untidy guests.  The kids and I have contemplated litter-box training them.  If they are going to be here, they could at least not leave presents all over our house.

Around the house...I'm hoping to "catch up" on laundry today, whatever that means.  I'm close to being in a good routine in this house, but not quite there yet.  The kids have really stepped up and are responsible for a lot of the daily tasks around the house.  When I had all "littles" I never imagined how helpful it would be when the kids got older.  The kids are learning skills that they will need for the rest of their lives and I am being relieved of some work. 

Our homeschool....is alive and well.  This year has been my favorite so far.  We changed almost everything from last year and we are thriving.  The kids are learning and are excited about school, and I'm loving it as well.  We can always make changes and improvements of course, but for now I'm happy.

Our prayer intentions...It seems like we are constantly adding to our list of prayers.  Several friends are sick,  a handful are expecting babies soon.  The focus this week, however, is my sister's brother-in-law, Nick.  Nick is battling a rare form of cancer, and the real war has begun this week.  Two long surgeries, the next one being Friday, and a long unknown road ahead.  Please keep this sweet young (my age) man in your prayers.  Also his family could use some major prayers!

Family milestones....Aidan took his last test before his black belt test which will be in about a year or so.  He has come soooo far in just 3 1/2 years. 
                                   Emma has almost mastered sweeping the kitchen and dining room.  This task used to take her forever, but she has worked hard at it and is really improving. 
                                   Gianna's reading is really taking off. 
                                   Veronica is rounding the corner to three, and you all know how I feel about three year olds...Nica is no exception. 
                                    Felicity is almost sitting on her own, rolls everywhere, but most importantly has been feeling so much better since I added "soy" to the list of things I'm avoiding.  More on this in another post.

On our reading lists...We are reading "The Old World's Gifts to the New" aloud for history.  We don't have a current family read aloud which needs to be changed because it really leaves a void in our day.  I'm not reading much at all.  I'm in the "babe-in-arms-constantly" phase of the current baby so when she's not in my arms I'm trying to get "stuff" done around the house.

I'm thinking about...How to better manage my time at home.  So many modern conveniences that suck away precious time from my family. 

The rest of the week...This week is almost over.  Some of the kids and Brett are getting over a little cold.  We have plans to see some great friends this weekend, but the cold might prevent us from going.  The kids have karate on Friday usually followed by a trip to the library to ensure the rest of Friday is quiet and restful. 

I'm creating...Lesson plans! 

Some pictures to share...
Oldest and youngest

Sweet Gigi

Enjoying the outdoors

Large Maple that hasn't changed yet, I can't wait.

Emma and "Almond" the cat.



1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love reading daybook posts. They make me all warm and fuzzy-like. :)

What discipline of karate are you guys doing? Have you thought about doing it as an adult (if you aren't already)? Tim and I are loving it. Awesome stress relief I tell you, although it does ad d to our schedule which is kind of tricky.