Friday, February 22, 2008

The Karate Kid

I'm so glad I wasn't blogging a year and a half ago when Aidan was doing soccer because had I been I would have had to disclose the utter torment that the experience was to all of us.
He's had a year and half to mature, and has expressed a lot of interest in karate (his good friend Bryce in TX does Tae Kwan Do and Aidan loved watching him). So...we signed him up for karate
and I think it is a great fit for this very serious little 6-year-old.
The Martial Arts Academy that he will be attending does things just the right way to fit Aidan's personality. For the past two days we've gone to the Academy so he can work one on one with the head dude (with countless stripes on his very black belt...very cool!). Tomorrow he'll join the rest of the students who have his same belt color for a group session, but now that he's been there a couple of times and knows the instructors he will be a lot less nervous to just jump in. Ambiguity is something he does not handle well. He has the option of attending up to 6 sessions per week, but we'll probably just have him do a couple. I refuse to sacrifice precious family time, however, this academy is very strict and expects a lot from their students (unlike one of the ones in Brenham that put equipment on 5 year olds and let them beat up on each other...zoiks!).



Here he is...our very own "karate kid"

Do you think he'll scare anyone with his toothless grin?

The back is way cool and he was so excited that he gets to be a "white belt". "I know it's the lowest color that you can have", he says, "but that way it'll give me something to work towards! His friend in TX will be testing for his black belt in a couple of weeks, so Aidan definitely sees that as a tangible goal! Hai-YAH!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Wow! I'm impressed--Go Aidan!

He looks really thrilled. I know he is going to go far!