I am trying to spend less time on the computer (namely, the Internet) for Lent. I have my ups and downs, but have been doing okay for the most part.
Yesterday morning the kids and I got up and got going right away. We had our breakfast and the dishes cleared and school finished in no time at all. We were nearing the end of the month ($$$) and so our fridge and cupboards were looking rather bleak. Lunch was vast approaching and I was ecstatic to find some frozen chicken breasts in the freezer downstairs. I don't why I hadn't used them earlier in the week, but I was glad to see them. We had some leftover turkey stock and onions and carrots and so I started making a most delicious chicken and rice soup. Soup was on and the kids were playing nicely so I whipped up some homemade angel biscuits and was feeling quite proud of my accomplishments. I cleaned up the kitchen and went downstairs to visit my usual Internet sites for "a few minutes". When I came up, a couple minutes before Brett arrived home for our marvelous lunch, I was not greeted with the same welcoming smell I had left in the kitchen. Instead I smelled something burning, more specifically, burned rice. I ran over to my (large) pot of soup on the stove and tried to rescue it, but it was too late. The burned rice "flavor" had permeated the entire pot.
Brett was so sweet and ate his bowl of soup, doctored up with a lot of salt and pepper jack cheese, I ate about half of my bowl (I've never had the stomach Brett has), Aidan ate almost all of his while declaring, "really, mom, it's not that bad", Emma choked down a few bites. Gianna, however did what we all wanted to do. She took one nibble of her soup, made a face that said "how could you offend me by putting that junk in front of me" and proceeded to spit it out.
Brett was feeling bad for me until he heard what had happened, then he just laughed and said, "Serves you right!" So much for compassion.
I am happy to report however that the kids were completely okay with feasting on as many biscuits they could hold smothered in honey!
P.S. Update! Before I could even hit "post" to this I had to run upstairs to check on my rice that was on the stove for our dinner tonight....yep, you guessed it...burned! Now, I'm way beyond burning things (especially rice of all things), so I think I need to take this as a not-so-subtle hint.
2 comments:
Meghan,
That totally sounds like something I'd do...!
I forgot you had a blog, but I've been enjoying reading about your family :-)
Yes! Hint, hint: Get a rice steamer. Wendy Lawhon says they're the greatest thing. Put the water in, put the rice in, set the timer and come back to perfectly steamed rice! LOL. Don't tell Brett it was my suggestion.
Been meaning to catch up with you. Will try to call later this week.
Post a Comment