Thursday, January 19, 2012

Life's Tough

It's hard work being a baby.
We've had a couple of tough days.  Days that have been filled with unexpected surprises.  Not the regular day to day surprises like, "Mom, the mean cat treed our cats again" or "Is water supposed to be coming out of that" or "The baby stinks, I think she needs to be changed".  Okay, that last one isn't exactly unexpected and usually it's not too surprising.

No, the surprises we have had are almost entirely financially and automobile related.  Actually, really just "auto" because the "mobile" part is no longer true for a couple of autos.  Our truck is dead, dead, dead.  It's been at the shop for weeks and after a lot of money and a lot of time, it's dead.  We had just made the decision to say goodbye to the black rustmobile when Brett called. 

I was actually on the phone with a dear friend.  We were talking each other "down" from some stressful times. 

"Uh, Meghan", I hear at the other end of the phone.  "I went to start the car to come home and it won't start."

"That's really funny, Brett!  Good joke, you got me."

"I'm not kidding."

It turns out it was just a battery, but it was almost enough to send me over the edge.  That was almost me in the picture above, although I wouldn't have been in a one-piece fleece outfit. 

I will admit to sulking a little bit, and grumbling a little bit, and complaining a little bit.  But, only a little bit.  My kids are by my side almost constantly.  They are watching how Brett and I react to bad news like, "You just spend $1500 on a truck that will never run again and isn't worth more than $2000 to begin with".  So, I've picked myself off the floor and have chosen to take this in stride.  I'll let you know how that goes. 

2 comments:

Lisa said...

We did that here! We just sunk about $1200 into a van that was probably only worth that. And, that was after new spark plugs and wires, new thermostat, new belt, new water pump and a new sensor for the other vehicle.

Blair said...

Ugh. Not on the car, but several other things the past six months have been MAJOR money suckers with nothing to show. I'm tempted to sulk and rethink what we SHOULD have done, but trying to just move on. It's hard!