Thursday, August 28, 2008

New Friends

We went out walking yesterday afternoon (this is right before we discovered our squirrels), and while we were out I noticed another mom out with her three kids. A boy who looked about Aidan's age, a girl who looked about Emma's age, and another boy who looked about Gianna's age. This is not a normal occurrence in our neighborhood. I know there are kids in the neighborhood, but we never see them. We waved to one another and then I decided to bite the bullet and I shouted a greeting across the street.

It turns out that this family lives four houses from us! And they homeschool!!!!! Why we've never met? I don't know. The boy is nine, so a little older than Aidan, but they have really hit it off. The girls took to each other immediately and the little ones play with whoever will take them. They came over this afternoon to look at the squirrels and ended up staying for a couple of hours and the kids played and played.

We have great friends here, but I've really longed for a neighborhood like the one I grew up in. The kind where the kids can go and knock on the door of their friends' houses and play in the afternoon, the kind where you can go from house to house and get popsicles at each (our mom's caught onto that one *way* too quickly...it couldn't have been the red lips and tongues). The kids are very excited about having kids their age 4 doors down! Me too!

1 comment:

Meredith said...

Meghan, that is wonderful!!! An answer to prayer, no doubt. And how amazing that they homeschool, too???