Thursday, December 16, 2010
Almost There
No, I'm not talking about getting closer to meeting this baby. I would hardly call having three more months "almost there". I'm talking about a time when moments like this
will happen much more frequently. When I married this man (that's the one on the left), I had no idea what it would be like to be the wife of a music professor. Wow! Was I in for a surprise?! I've been waiting for his 8-5, weekends off schedule to kick in, but it never has. I fought it for a good chunk of time. Finally, I just accepted it. For most of the school year I'm it! I teach the kids, clean the house, do the laundry, make the meals, deal with bills, call repair people, give kids baths, read to them, and put them to bed. I've learned how to enjoy these days. I'm not perfect (this seems to be a theme lately). There are many times when Brett and I "calendar talk" and I just whimper thinking about how busy I'm going to be. How stressed, how tired, how overworked. One thing I've learned over the years is that Brett isn't off playing and having a great time while he's away from us. He's working. He loves his work, which I am so grateful for, but it's work. He loves our family, he wants to be with his family. If I remind myself of that while I'm "in the trenches" things go much smoother. It's no fun being the resentful wife so I try to just make do while he's "away" and appreciate when he's home! Which will be VERY SOON!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amen! I can relate and find myself feeling resentful at times when Phill is off exploring the world while I'm...not. But remembering that he is working and things aren't as glamorous, and that he misses us and wants to be home puts things back into perspective. That, and I remember that we're a team--I do my part, he does his, and we all benefit. :)
I should add that I in no way compare what I have to do with what "military wives" have to do. I try to remember to prayer for ya'll whenever I'm tempted to feel sorry for myself about how bad I have it. Brett is home at night, just late at night, but he's home. Will Phill be home for Christmas?
Post a Comment