Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Hint for Homeschoolers!

The timer is your friend. If you tell your children, "Okay, we're going to take a fifteen minute break and then it's back to work", set the timer for fifteen minutes and get back to work. I've found that once I say "break" something in my mind tells me that I must get done every last task that is hanging over my head. When we're home it's easy to get sidetracked and just keep plugging away at our day to day tasks.

The same advice can be given for the start of the day. No more "okay, five more minutes kids" for me. It always turns into five more and then five more and then into, "after I get the kitchen cleaned", "after I vacuum", "we'll start as soon as I (enter anything other than school)". So there you have it. Some unsolicited advice from a not-quite-so-veteran homeschooling mom!

No comments: